Organised by Worcestershire Poet Laureate, Heather Wastie
- The 2015 LitFest National Poetry Day Competition is now open
- Closing Date Sunday 6 September 2015
- Free entry
- Open to all in Worcestershire
- For rules see below
- Judges: Worcestershire Poet Laureate, Heather Wastie, and Maggie Doyle, Poet Laureate Emeritus
- Entrants must be available to perform their poem(s) Thursday 8 October 2015 7.30pm at Museum of Carpet, Kidderminster.
- Closing date Sunday 6 September 2015.
- The theme is ‘Light and Shade’. All styles and genres are welcome. Poems inspired by the carpet industry will be particularly welcome.
- Submitted pieces must not have been published elsewhere and must be the entrant’s own original work.
- By entering this competition you agree that your work can be published on the LitFest website, read at LitFest events and included in publicity and promotions.
- Translations of anyone else’s work are not eligible. Copyright remains with the writer.
- Entries must be in English
- Submit entries by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The subject line of the e-mail must say ‘LitFest National Poetry Day Submission’. A circa 50-word profile of the writer in the third person and the writer’s postal address to be included in the body of the email.
- Entries should be attached as a Word or an RTF document. Give your name and contact details in the body of the email, as well as the title of your submission(s). Do not put your name or email address on the entry itself. Please state your age if under 18.
- Entries should be single spaced, in a clear 12pt font.
- Maximum line limit: 40 lines excluding the title.
- Entrants will be notified of the shortlist by Monday 28 September 2015. The top three poets will be invited to perform their poems on National Poetry Day (see 1). Poems by the remaining poets on the shortlist will be published online and the public invited to vote for their favourite poem.
- No alterations can be made after receipt. The judges’ decisions are final and no correspondence can be entered into. No entrant may win more than one prize.
- No correspondence will be entered into regarding the outcome of this competition.
Entry into the competition is taken to be acceptance of these rules.
All entries will be judged anonymously.
Judges: Worcestershire Poet Laureate, Heather Wastie, and a member of the LitFest committee.
Competition closes Sunday 6 September 2015.
Final results announced Thursday 8 October 2015 at the event and on the LitFest website thereafter.
First prize: Free admission to Museum of Carpet for a family or two adults, plus free entry to the Worcestershire Poet Laureate Competition 2016 and free entry to Worcester SpeakEasy and to Mouth & Music Kidderminster for one year.
If sufficient entries from poets aged under 18 are received, we will make a separate category for these entrants.
All entries will be acknowledged within 48 hours of receipt. If you have not heard from us within a week please contact us. It is your responsibility to confirm your entry has been received.
We cannot accept submissions that do not follow submissions guidelines and rules.
Get your poetry fingers moving! Good luck!