The search is ON for Worcestershire’s next Poet Laureate – could it be you? Enter today! Closing date Friday 30th March 2018. The competition to find the Worcestershire Poet Laureate 2018 is NOW OPEN!
If you are a poet or budding poet this could be a great opportunity for you to showcase your work and promote poetry as an art form across the County.
The remit of the Worcestershire Poet Laureate is as follows, but is not limited to:
* To act as an ambassador for poetry for the County of Worcestershire and to promote poetry as an acceptable art form and form of writing.
* To write poems throughout the year as The Poet Laureate for a number of marked occasions, to be arranged by The Poet Laureate with the Festival Committee.
* To make personal appearances as The Poet Laureate at key events throughout the County during the year of tenure as The Worcestershire Poet Laureate and to perform live at events as requested.
* To write a regular blog to appear on the worcslitfest.co.uk website
* To prepare a collection of poems for publication. Publication of the collection is paid for by LitFest.
* To promote the Worcestershire LitFest & Fringe during the tenure as Poet Laureate.
* To organise an event for World Poetry Day, March 21.
* To respond to enquiries as The Worcestershire Poet Laureate in a timely and proactive manner.
* To promote poetry within schools and organisations.
* To undertake press, media, radio and TV interviews as and when appropriate.
* To be present and willing to perform their winning poem at the launch event next year, Sunday 9th June 2019, and to handover to the new Poet Laureate.
* To work closely with the LitFest organisers and directors and to maximise PR and Promotional opportunities as far as possible. Opportunities to collaborate with The Worcestershire Poet Laureate Emeritus and The Young Poet Laureate may also arise.
* To maintain contact via email/phone with all three directors and have regular meetings to discuss plans.
How To Enter
To enter the Worcestershire Poet Laureate competition, please send us two poems, one on the theme of ‘Future Echoes’ and one original poem of your choice. Entries should be in Word or as an .rtf, single line spaced and no more than 40 lines in length not including the title line. Poems should be on separate pages. Your name must not appear on either of the poems.
Please quote your PayPal transaction number in the body of your email when you submit your poems.
Alternatively you can send a cheque made payable to “Worcestershire LitFest & Fringe” to: Worcestershire Poet Laureate Competition, Worcestershire LitFest & Fringe, Appletree Cottage, 7 Nursery Road, St John’s, Worcester WR2 4HB.
Entries sent without the entry fee will not be considered.
The closing date for the competition is Friday 30th March 2018.
Good luck and we look forward to receiving your entries!
Conditions of Entry
Closing date is Friday 30th March 2018.
One entry only per poet. Do not submit work more than once.
You must be age 20 or over and be resident in the County of Worcestershire to be eligible for the title of Worcestershire Poet Laureate.
Submitted pieces must be unpublished and the entrant’s own original work. Translations of anyone else’s work are not eligible. Copyright remains with the writer.
Copyright of each entry remains with the author; entries may be published on the Worcestershire LitFest & Fringe (LitFest) website and social media, read at LitFest events and may be included in an anthology later in the year.
Entries must be in English. Submit entries as a Word.doc or .rtf attachment in an email to: email@example.com The subject line of the e-mail should read: “Worcestershire Poet Laureate 2018”.
Please include a Statement of Interest in the body of your email. This should demonstrate why you would like to be considered for the position, what experience you have (if any) in performing and promoting poetry, as well as detailing what you would bring to the position. The statement should ideally be no more than 250 words to include a circa 100 word profile / biography.
You must be available on the afternoon of Sunday 10 June 2018 for the LitFest Launch event to perform your poems if requested.
The theme is ‘Future Echoes’ and one poem must be submitted on this theme, plus one additional poem of your choice. Poems must be original and unpublished in any format.
All entries will be acknowledged within 48 hours. If you have not heard from us during that time, please contact us. It is your responsibility to confirm your entry has been received.
No alterations can be made after receipt, fees will not be refunded.
The judges’ decisions are final and no correspondence can be entered into. No entrant may win more than one prize.
Prize winners will be notified at the Launch event. The results will also be published on the Worcestershire LitFest & Fringe website.
Entry implies acceptance of all the rules. Failure to comply with the rules will result in disqualification.